Tuesday, March 29, 2011

You want me to do what to the purl?

RIP First Attempt at Baby Blanket
I have started the baby blanket....and quickly frogged the three rows I managed to do.  It's my first time using the seed stitch and I definitely was not paying attention during one spot because I had several purls in a row. 

The seed stitch follows this lovely alchemical formula:

Row 1: Knit 1, *Purl 1, Knit 1. Repeat from * across

Which means there is a lot of yarn carry over and the constant chant of "Knit the purl, purl the knit".  And every row starts with a knit. Which is where I goofed on row 2 of my blanket. I definitely purled the first row at some point.  Ooops....and then I tried to self-correct which did not go so well, either.  However, I can now say with utmost confidence that I will ALWAYS start my seed row with a knit.  Lesson learned. 

I'm going to be doing the main segment in the seed stitch...so this will probably take me a little while - although it will teach me how to use more than one skein of yarn, so that's exciting.  Therefore I might do a post or two on product review and store review (I recently made a trip to the yarn mecca known as Webs, which is aptly known as America's Yarn Store).  But, once I get the main portion of the blanket down I will be starting the hard part....so stay tuned for more info!

I noticed I had several new followers! Hi! Did you all find me from Ravelry?  


4 comments:

  1. I did, ehh first attempts at baby blankets always seem to be ewww... I'm glad my pattern is so simple just k2 yo knit rest of row for two skeins lol. XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does sound like a pretty simple pattern :D I wish I tried something easy lol but I like challenging myself, and between my scarf and hat I feel like I've got the knit stitch down pat lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seed stitch is a great pattern but you do need to pay attention at first. I made 2 scarves with that pattern. Are you making the blanket on your circular needles?

    Hey, when were you at Webs??? I was there this past Saturday from about 11:00 am to 12:30 pm. I have some Groupons to use and I was totally overwhelmed with the selection. But I did have fun touching everything! LOL! OMG, were we there at the same time and did not even know it! I was alone, my dog was in the car, so I could enjoy the store without being rushed by hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup, Diane! I'm using the circs for the blanket. Straight needles? I don't need no stinkin' straight needles O:)

    I was there on Sunday! My boyfriend is from S.Deerfield so we were visiting his folks and his mom and I went to Webs. The site said it was closed on Sunday, but we drove by and it was open (there was an author event). That would have been funny if we were there at the same time LOL. I should check groupon for it in the future.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment! ~Amy