Friday, August 5, 2011

I Knit to Keep My Life from Unraveling

Inspiration for color choice.
A little while ago my aunt got me a cute little knick-nack that was a sign that read "I knit to keep my life from unraveling."  And it's true.  When I need to take a moment and breathe, I pick up something to knit.  I find I bite my nails less too.  Last night I started another washcloth for fun, thinking I'd pick it up here and there. Yet, today I knit it to completion.  At first I knit to relax and try not to stress out about the job I had an interview for last Friday. And then later I knit it to try to cope with the disappointment of not getting said job.  I allowed myself some crying time, and then got to work knitting, slipping and purling. Having this simple project to concentrate on when all I wanted to do (and still do..) was bawl my eyes out.  

I'm disappointed I didn't get that job. I really truly wanted it.  And I thought the interview had gone very well.  I've been unemployed for a little over a year now...and it's tough.  I admit that I didn't focus on job searching as much as I should of.  But now that my mind and heart is in the right place...I feel this loss like a physical blow.  I allowed my hopes to get too high, and when they crashed it hurt.  A lot. They say that things happen for a reason, and that's what I keep chanting as my mantra.  And who knows? Maybe the person they offered the position to will decline.  A girl can only hope...

This cloth was a lot of fun to knit.  Very easy to remember pattern (really! it's like knit by color easy).  Other than wrapping while knitting I didn't learn anything new, but I did enjoy working with the two colors.  It wasn't until I was weaving in my ends that I realize I might have been subconsciously swayed in my color choice...my little pair of scissors are the exact same colors and my Vera Bradley notion bag has the blue and green in it too.

A lot of fun to knit

Beach Bummin' Plaid Washcloth Project Details:
Pattern: Playful Plaid Cloth by Renee M.
Yarn: Lily Sugar 'n Cream in Mod Blue and Hot Green
Needles: US 7

"Sometimes in the chaos of everyday life, knitting represents the one thing over which I seem to have any control...and that is sometimes just an illusion." ~ Joan Schrouder

4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you didn't get the job. Did they say why?

    I think it's not such a bad thing that you didn't start job-hunting earlier. If your head and heart just wasn't in the right place, I don't think the job search would have been that successful anyway. Job-hunting is a job itself, and I think you're on the right track by keeping your mind busy.

    It's a fantastic washcloth, by the way. Lovely colour combo! Sending good vibes your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No :( I haven't received the official notice yet, but my friend who works in HR let me know. I'm not sure why I didn't get it. Last I heard the person I interviewed with was very impressed by me.

    Thank you for the good vibes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry you didn't get the job. That washcloth is adorable! I've always been drawn to those colors together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too send my apologies about the job that didn't become yours, but my initial thought was that perhaps another, better opportunity in just ahead and the universe is asking you to wait until then to become happy at a job. Don't give up hope. Think of your interview as a practice session for the next time. Can you reflect on what you felt went well and try to keep that foremost in your mind?
    I have a Vera bag in that same print and I love the color combo. What pattern is the washcloth? I love that stitch and I agree, you found colors that pop next to each other.
    Keep the faith and know you have the skills and personality to persevere!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment! ~Amy