My hat is cursed I think. Perhaps picking green for the colorway was the wrong idea, because my hat thinks it's a frog and it wants to rippit rippit.
Last night's error, and the realization that 96 stitches might be just a tad too big, led me to rip it all back today. So, I started over and cast on 88 stitches. Thankfully, I did not get twisted all over the place (stitch or hat) and it behaved itself.
I successfully managed to increase properly - I forgot the purls! And I realized that even if I followed the pattern 100% I would have made the same mistake because she didn't mention the purls either. So, for this time I increased this way: k1, YO, k1, P2 which brought me to 110 stitches. Huzzah!
I am two rounds into the mock cable pattern and things are going well....I did have one teensy little mistake where I accidentally made a YO at the beginning to the round. Which I might have not realized until I was half way done with the second half of the round...and I tinked back that half, and then was flummoxed trying to figure out how to tink the first half on the back needle. But, I figured it out, and it's looking well :)