Thursday, March 24, 2011

Let's K2Tog Yeah, Yeah, Yeah

Alright so I might be humming the title of this post to the tune of "Let's Get Together, Yeah Yeah Yeah" from the original Parent Trap. 

I started making the decreases on my hat last night by K2Tog-ing which in non-knit speak means knit two together.  And I'm having a doozy of a time.  My teacher had to unravel most of the decrease rows I made today because I keep coming up with these mutant stitches. You know it's a bad sign when your instructor has no clue what you did wrong.  

Mutant stitch...there shouldn't be two stitches in one like that


As far as she can tell, she thinks I am knitting into the row below the stitch on the k2togs. Unfortunately, I can't tell I'm doing anything wrong until after I've already moved the stitch over to the right needle. Why oh why do knitting needles not come equipped with a delete button? And it's not every time I k2tog...it's only sometimes.  I thought I got the hang of it tonight, but I ran into the same problem. I have a doctor's appointment in the morning, and afterwards I'm going to have to swing by the store... Argh. I just wish I could stop making the mistake. 

I'm almost done with my hat too...I'm down to the last 9 rows. And once that's done all I need to do is add a pom-pom.  So. Close. 
Starting to look like a hat

3 comments:

  1. Wow, your hat is really coming along nicely!

    As for your K2tog problem, I wonder if you are knitting too tight and you cannot get your needle under the right stitches so you are grabbing the row below. To loosen my stitches I do a slight tug towards me before slipping the knitted stitch off the left needle. It is just enough play to get my needles underneath. Try it, it may work!

    I got my Try It needles from Knit Picks and I am even more confused! First off, I HATED the Harmony wood needles! They are too sticky and felt too delicate to me. I really liked the zephyrs but I loved the added weight of the nickel plates ones. I'm not sure what I am going to do. I could just buy the set of zephrys and wait on the nickel ones. Or I could just buy the individual needles in acrylic and nickel to fit my needs. Hmmmm!!!! I'll keep you updated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do knit tightly, so I think that might be one of the problems. Or maybe I'm not following through correctly once I pull it over to the other stitch. I'm not sure :( I'm going to have to try your loosening technique.

    REALLY??!?!?! I've heard such amazing things about the Harmony needles...I'm glad I didn't buy them blindly! I haven't decided yet if I'm going to buy the try it interchangeable set yet...I might...just to feel them out. Not sure how I feel about the Zephyr set, I tried with a plastic set of straight needles and hated it. And I love the nickel plated Addis...ahhh I'm so confused. How are the cords?? I've heard that like the Addis, knit picks has very flexible smooth cords.

    Good luck with your decision making, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cords on the KP are awesome! I have a 40" Addi Click Lace size 2 needle for socks so I would have they are about the same. The way the base connects to the cord is the same too, nice and tapered.

    I'd highly recommend getting the Try It set! It's only $20 and you spent almost that on your one set of Addis circular. I think the Zephyrs will surprise you as everyday needles! If you don't like any of them, you could sell them or trade them over on the Knit Picks Options group on Ravelry. I traded someone my Harmony #6 for a NP #8. It worked out well.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment! ~Amy